|1||Cardboard boxes (or enough cardboard to make two boxes)||2||Local hardware store|
|2||Cotton Filter Cloth for fine dust particles||1||Mumbai: Crawford Market|
|3||Battery 12 V with suitable adapter||1||Mumbai: Lamington Road|
|4||Motor 1000 rpm||1||Mumbai: Lamington Road|
Steps to make:
- Make two boxes out of corrugated cardboard such as one fits perfectly into the other.
- Make a fan out of tin and attach it to the motor.
- Attach the motor wires to the 12 V battery using a switch.
- Make a round cut out in one of the cardboard boxes and attach the motor/ fan to the center of this box using one more piece of cardboard.
- Make a large square cut in the other box and attach the filter cloth to it.
- Fit one box into the other and switch on the fan.
Working of the Air Filter:
When the fan starts moving, it pushes the air out of the opening in the box creating a vacuum. This sucks in more air into the box through the air filter. The dust gets stuck on the filter cloth and clean air gets thrown out again thus cleaning the air in the room.
Reasons why the Air Filter may not work:
- Check if the wire connections of the battery and the motor are proper.
- Check if the motor is working with help of a battery.
- If the battery is drained out, replace it.
Problem points for children to brainstorm and solve:
- Fixing the tin fan to the motor.
Further External Resources:
- Video – How to make an Eco Air Purifier