STEM Education is Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics integrated into project based learning. It is an interdisciplinary approach based on real world challenges which inculcates critical thinking and problem solving skills in children.
Universe Simplified Foundation (USF) sets up low-cost, portable, STEM based Innovation Hubs in highly under-resourced Government schools in villages on the outskirts of Mumbai. They aim to ensure that every student receives an equal opportunity for inquiry-driven STEM at par with elite schools (which form < 0.1% of all schools in India).
The USF STEM Fellowship is a full time, two year immersive fellowship during which the fellow works as a STEM educator in rural village schools. In addition to being trained in technical skills, the fellows gain an understanding of how students learn through project and problem based learning methodologies.
Roles & Responsibilities of the STEM Fellow:
- Working directly with the children and facilitating hands-on, inquiry driven STEM workshops for grades 8 & 9.
- Program execution and operations for the assigned Innovation Hubs.
- Engaging the stakeholders (parents, teachers, and communities) by conducting regular meetings and doing home visits.
- Training/ coordinating with interns.
This is not an exhaustive list.
Training provided during the Fellowship:
- Facilitating sessions for students in inquiry driven STEM curriculum
- Program execution, planning, and time management
- Computer literacy, scratch programming and Arduino based robotics.